Container gardening allows you to enjoy plants in areas where a traditional garden is awkward or impossible. Even with limited space in an urban apartment, you can grow fruits, vegetables, flowers and shrubs just about anywhere. Plants thrive on rooftops, decks, balconies, stairs and even on the stoop of your mobile home. And if you have a nice outdoor garden, you can vary your selection or save yourself the trouble of walking out to the yard on your sore ankle.
Container gardening also enables you to experiment with plants and to optimize or to control environmental conditions and is the perfect solution for growing herbs, vegetables, and flowers within a limited amount of space and/or poor soil conditions.
Container gardening can be beneficial for many situations:
- Problem soil - containers allow you to control your own high-quality soil.
- Space - Container Gardens utilize minimal space.
- Apartments/Condos - addresses limited access to garden plots.
- Gourmet cooking - easily grow fresh herbs and vegetables for cooking.
- Plant enthusiasts - for those who just can't get enough gardening!
- Mobility - container gardens are easy to move around as needed.
- Convenience. Keeps your flowers, vegetables, or herbs close at hand.
The design of your container garden doesn't need to be complicated or even expensive. For a simple, yet effective container garden, follow these simple steps:
1) Determine how much space you have available.
2) Determine what types of plants you want to grow.
3) Select your containers accordingly.
4) Choose your garden soil mixture. (For more info on garden soil)
5) Take into account the availability of sunlight and shade.
6) Shop around for just the right plants, soils, and containers.
7) Make everything look good! Get some great looking garden planters, or accent with wall fountains. Don't stop there, Cast Stone Garden Fountains or wall water fountains will add a nice water feature to your garden.
You can get just as creative with a container garden as you can with a large garden, maybe even more so. Utilizing unique decorations and statues you'll have your own perfect little slice of nature, indoors, in your own container garden!