Whether you are visiting a CSA, a U-Pick operation or some other form of Agri-tourism activity, there are several things to keep in mind.
RULE #1 - CALL FIRST
Keep in mind that you are a visitor to these farmer's home and business. Do NOT, under any circumstances "just stop by" unless you have a specific invitation to do so.
Remember that when you visit a farm, you are a welcome visitor. Like many farms, it is both the family's home and business. Respect their property;
- Read and obey all signs. Follow directions about where and what to pick
- Supervise children at all times and be careful around ponds and other bodies of water
- Wear shoes, shirts and other proper clothing at all times
- Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a sunscreen and a hat
- Leave all of your pets at home
- Bring your own drinking water
- Be sure to place all litter in the proper trash receptacles
- Keep head, arms, hands and legs inside when riding in farm wagons. Remain seated until the wagon stops
- Enter buildings that are not open to the public
- Throw or damage produce
- Climb on or touch farm tools and equipment. Many machines have sharp edges and moving parts
- Climb trees or step on fruits and vegetables in the field
- Frighten or hurt farm animals.