West Virginia Locally Grown Product
There are plenty of seasonal Locavore opportunities to find exactly the fruit, vegetables, beef, lamb, poultry, wine or dairy products that you may be looking for. The 2007 USDA Farm Census reported that West Virginia had approximately 23,618 farms and the average number of acres per farm was 157. Of those farms, 726 showed that they raised vegetables for sale, there were 613 orchards, 62 organic farms and 163 CSAs in the state.
Synopsis of 2007 USDA Ag census for West Virginia
|Farms with Vegetables harvested for sale||Preston||Mason||Berkeley||Cabell||Jefferson|
|Number of Orchards||Berkeley||Hampshire||Marshall||Jefferson||Marion|
|Blackberries and Dewberries||Greenbrier||Jackson||Marshall||Cabell||Putnam|
|Poultry and egg production||Hardy||Pendleton||Hampshire||Grant||Berkeley|
|Dairy cattle and milk production||Ohio||Mason||Preston||Berkeley||Jefferson|
|Beef and Cattle ranches||Preston||Greenbrier||Monroe||Mason||Jackson|
|Aquaculture or other animal production||Wood||Jackson||Jefferson||Berkeley||Harrison|
|Farms that collect Honey||Nicholas||Braxton||Pocahontas||Greenbrier||Harrison|
|Farms that collect Maple Syrup||Doddridge||Ritchie||Preston||Barbour||Hardy|
For more specific detail on what local fruits and vegetables are available (and when), please check out our West Virginia availability guide.
How to find West Virginia Growers and producers
To search our database for growers, producers and wineries near you, use one of these three methods:
1. Go to the Proximity search page. Enter the Zip code that you want to use as the basis for your search, enter the number of miles around the Zip code, click or unclick the business types you want to search for, then click the "Search' button. When the results appear, if you want more information about a specific business, you can click on the map marker and then the farm or business name within the information box.
If you would rather not enter a Zip code, you can enter a City and State name or a County and State name.
2. To see all of the Profiles within a specific State, go to the menu selection entitled "State Information" in the blue menu section at the top of the page. Scroll to your State name and as you move through the State names, you will see two menu choices appear to the right of your cursor. Click on the one that includes the words "Growers and Producers". When the list shows on your screen, you may sort by County name (click on the word "County"). If you are looking for a specific product such as Peaches or Beef or Honey, simply enter your search term in the appropriate box. For the West Virginia Grower list, click on this link: West Virginia Grower list .
3. Using the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen, just enter the terms you wish to search for..there is no need to include a coma. As an example, if you want to find Peach growers in West Virginia, just type in the words Peaches West Virginia and click on the Search button. There is no need to enter connecting words such as "and" or "in".
Additional West Virginia Locavore information
Every state has a Cooperative Extension System. Regional offices offer location specific advice on a broad array of topics (including gardening), and may be able to provide you with contact information for growers who are not yet registered on our site. Most have gardening hotlines and offer informational fact sheets, soil testing and pest identification for free or a nominal cost. Often the help is provided by Master Gardeners who are trained to assist the agriculture agents with home gardener's needs. To find contact information for your local County Extension Office – West Virginia County Extension Offices.
- If you would like to ask questions of fellow West Virginia Locavores, discuss tips, share recipes, stories, pictures or any another great “Slow Food” discovery, please post it in our West Virginia forum by clicking here: West Virginia Locavore Forum
- State sponsored “Locally Grown” program - West Virginia Grown
- West Virginia County Fair Schedules – This link provides schedules for County Fairs within West Virginia as well as many other local festivals – West Virginia County Fairs